Pathological obesity cure
The purpose of the pathological obesity cure is to provide dietary re-education for the long term that promotes weight loss and attenuates the effects of related disorders.
This cure is intended for those who are seriously overweight or suffering from a disease that is complicated by even moderate extra weight. These are mainly serious cardio-vascular, articular, pulmonary, or metabolic diseases (diabetes, hyper-cholesterolemia).
The criteria for admission and treatment are:
- Obesity with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 35 (for men) and 34 (for women), and a waist/hip ratio (WHR) greater than 1.3 (for men) and 1.2 (for women).
- Obesity with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 33 (for men) and 32 (for women) associated with one of the following disorders:
- - Coronary insufficiency with a history of myocardial infarction or stenosis of the coronary arteries detected with coronarography or a history of heart surgery,
- Severe high blood pressure that does not respond to medicinal treatment;
- Hip or knee arthritis requiring prosthetic treatment;
- Registration on a list for organ transplant,
- Sleep apnoea syndrome ascertained by a sleep laboratory,
- Difficult to control diabetes with Hb Alc greater than 8%.
MOTIVATION before the cure:
During the first appointment, the thermal physician will define the approach to the cure. The reimbursement approval is then submitted to the Social Security Medical Inspectorate.
The cure is necessarily preceded by a complete assessment and monitoring over a period of about 2 months. During this time, you will have to show your motivation by achieving weight-loss objectives fixed during the preliminary consultations with a dietician and a psychologist.
LEARNING during the cure :
The 3-week cure comprises mandatory stay (including weekends) at Mondorf-les-Bains. This break from your daily routine is conducive to the success of the cure, which is based essentially on learning living habits again.
Your cure programme includes regularly:
- Diet lectures
- Exercice sessions
- Workshops with a psychologist
- Adapted individual treatments
- Supervised endurance training
- Balanced meals and snacks
The monitoring and supervision are provided through individual consultations with:
- The cure physician : 3 consultations
- The dietician : 2 consultations
- The psychologist : 3 consultations
Post-cure MONITORING :
To guide you in putting new dietary habits to practice, individual psychological and dietary monitoring consultations are planned at Mondorf Domaine Thermal 3 months after the cure.
Good to know
On the recommendation of your attending physician, make an appointment with a cure physician at Mondorf Domaine Thermal to prescribe your cure. Once the medical inspectorate of the National Health Fund (NHF) has given its approval, the NHF covers 80% of the treatment
A second cure may be arranged, if after progressive loss for 12 months following the cure, the patient continues to be seriously overweight.
Our healthcare professionals are at your disposal for any further information you may require at (+352) 23 666-800 or domaine [at] mondorf [dot] lu